I think it’s time that the unsung hero’s of my life finally get the recognition that they deserve. These are the tireless people who have to put up with me telling them about whatever thing has become my obsession for a week. Although many people have been afflicted with putting up with my passions, the current champion is a girl named Penguins Quack. And yes, that is her real name.
Generally when I discover some new thing my very first response is to go onto the vast corridors of the internet and tell Penguins all about it. When first started using the internet frequently I made a promise to myself that I would not make friends on the internet, Penguins is the single exception. I like to think that her scores in tests have dropped dramatically because of our friendship. Mostly because I introduced her to Questionable Content in the week before her exams, she had to have a poster on the wall saying ‘stop reading QC and study’. She used to be the only reason that I used twitter, however I have now added the entire cast of Questionable Content, Nathan Fillion, Neil Patrick Harris, Felicia Day and Jewel Staite. Basicly, Twitter rocks.
A bit about her, she lives over at Tales Featuring the Penguins Demise which, now that I think about it, is a really depressing name for a blog when your username is Penguins_Quack. It is also missing an apostrophe. She likes men who play video games who aren’t COD and wants to be a museum lady when she grows up. I am also to blame for getting her hooked on Dragonball Z, xkcd and Being Human (which she hasn’t watched yet, but she’s going to love it when she gets around to it). I have a tendency to get people hooked on things, at my old school it was yugioh cards, this year it’s been Dragonball Z and Questionable Content.
Some things that Penguins like:
- Being better than me at internet privacy, nowhere on her blog does her name or location appear. I fail so badly in this respect.
- Fictional Men. A large portion of her brain is taken up thinking about her crushes that don’t exist. Sources: Here, here and here.
- The man from The Catcher in the Rye. I think there is Holdan in his name.
- Manga, particularly Skip Beat.
- Reading Bleach even though she hates it. I mean, I stopped reading after the Soul Society arc, I cannot believe that she’s still going.
- Writing lists in her blog.
- Writing in general, in fact she just completed NaNoWriMo in which she had to write a book in a month. That whole situation was a bit crazy in that she was telling me all about the thing she was excited about instead of the other way around. She still hasn’t let me read this book though.
- Leaving notes in books when she returns them to the library.
- Having a shirt with the periodic table on it.
- Dressing up as Dr Who even though she’s a woman.
- Freaking me out.
- Getting accused of going out with me. The conversation went:
“Penguins, do you have a boyfriend?”
“No, not that I’ve been informed of.”
“Than who the f*** is TOM PARKER??”
(in interest of fairness girls get accused of this all the time, it makes me sad because they always deny it)
By the way Penguins, while writing this I read ALL of your blog. That’s right, the entire thing. I bet you can’t say the same thing about me?
So who is she? The simple way to find out is by looking on my facebook wall at the girl who keeps posting there.
- 4:20 Flick: Farting Penguin (hailmaryjane.com)
- Edinburgh Zoo ‘Penguin cam’ becomes surprise hit (newslite.tv)
- “Club Penguin You Decide Card Jitsu Power Card!” and related posts (clubpenguingang.com)
- Penguin Dilemma (neatorama.com)