If I could get away with it I could spend hours asking complete strangers questions. I really enjoy getting to know people and what makes them tick.
Things I’d ask include:
- What kinda music do you like? Why? Did you ever like any other sort? What do you think of the indie scene? What about the mainstream stuff? Is there any music you hate? What do you think of people who get off knowing about obscure bands?
- Do you watch TV? What about reading? Or do you play video games? Is the modern version of reading a novel playing video games? Or is the modern version of reading a novel reading a modern novel? Do you think people do it for the escapist element? Do you? Are you comfortable with that?
- Do you know your family history? Are you proud of it? Do you care at all?
- Do you have a life story? Or do you think events are just happening and they aren’t connected?
- Do you believe in a god or the supernatural? Do you believe what you’d like to be true or what you think is true? If you do, why doesn’t everyone know?
- Where’s the best place to have a date? Is a movie really a good place take a girl? Is it slutty for the girl to be the pursuer in the relationship. That is, the girl is the one who gets the guys phone number, asks him out etc..
And then I could ask really specific questions, things that have been bothering me, like:
A guy and a girl are on a date. The night went rather well but after they leave *wherever they were* and walk down a dark alley *for some reason* they get held up by a guy demanding their money. What should the guy in the date do? Hand over his money or fight the other guy? What is the mugger had a knife? Or a gun?
You might have guessed, but a lot of these questions have come up because people that I know have said things that surprised me and that I disagree with. But these are really all just preliminary questions, what I really want to know is about the depths of identity. Things like:
- When someone asks you how you are, what do you think of? What, to you, defines whether your life is going well or not? Having a boyfriend, good grades, good food, …?
- How do you define yourself? Is it your taste in music? Is it who your friends are, what you own, what your job is, what you study, …? Is it possible to not like who you are? Do you like who you are? If you don’t, would you do anything to change it?
I think it’d be really cool if you could answer some of these in the comments or if you’re a blogger to make a post yourself, like I said before I’m really interested in what people think. Formspring was created with this in mind, but without the capacity for discussion on an answer it quickly became a platform for bullying and privacy breaches. Since I’ve asked for other people to answer these I think it’d only be fair if I did too, but it’s getting late now and I want to give each of these questions a real answer so it’ll have to wait until tomorrow when I promise I’ll answer them. The very fact that I’m interested in these questions and not others probably speaks volumes.